Award winning builder performs renovation for compliance with Virginia Graeme Baker Pool & Spa Safety Act (VGBPSSA) and the latest revision of ASME A 112.19.8 2007/2008A (Suction Fittings for Use in Swimming Pools, Wading Pools, Spas, and Hot Tubs)
A work in progress, Chaikin Ultimate Pools, a DBA of Ultimate in Pool Care, Inc., is retrofitting the swimming pool at Penbrook House (Lynbrook, NY) with dual main drains, VGB compliant equalizers, new piping to code, and a new finish. As part of their contract they brought in an engineer who redesigned the pump room as well, thus bringing the entire pool up to today’s standards. The pool, originally built decades back, had some work done over the years, but the team at Chaikin will retrofit the pool to meet 2015 standards across the board.
The completed pool renovation will include the following features (among others):
- Dual VGB/ANSI/APSP 7 compliant main drains;
- Dual VGB/ANSI/APSP 7 compliant suction outlet sumps with hydrostatic relief valves;
- Three VGB/ANSI/APSP 7 compliant equalizer covers in the pool walls;
- Upgraded and pressure-tested plumbing throughout much of the pool and pump house to accommodate the changes;
- Color coding of all exposed piping within the filter room;
- Pentair EQ series 3hp pump, replacing existing single-speed Hayward pump;
- Updated step and transition tiling;
- New marble dust;
- New high-volume flow meters, and a double wall chemical crock.
Other additional features associated with the work include the provision of a piping schematic mounted on the filter room wall in a prominent place showing each valve, its function, number and approximate location, facilitating ease of operation and maintenance.
A comprehensive set of operating instructions and service instructions will also be provided for all equipment and for all pool functions, and be designed to meet the capabilities of a young lifeguard or maintenance technician.
Lastly, in addition to compliance with the laws and regulations already stated, all work was designed, and will be constructed and maintained in strict accordance with the New York State Sanitary Code, Chapter 1, Part 6 and Sub-Part 6-1 of the New York State Department of Health. Additionally, all electrical motors, underwater lights, above grade lighting and all other electrical equipment will be equipped with ground fault interrupters in accordance with the latest stipulations by the National Board of Fire Underwriters, the National Electric Code, and the Underwriters Label of Certification.
Further updates for the project will be forthcoming upon its completion.